If you've been following my past few posts, instagram pictures, or Facebook page, you will notice that lately I've been doing a lot of promoting on Meal Prepping. Besides the fact that it's amazing and one of the best things I have ever started doing, since it is such a HUGE time saver during the busy week, it also opens up so many possibilities in the kitchen if you keep your prepped meats basic. Meaning, they are cooked with some seasonings but are not tied to being a specific meal, such as a teriyaki stir fry, meatloaf or crockpot dish.
When you keep your ground turkey (or beef for you red meat lovers), chicken, or other source of protein basic, you can transform your leftovers from drab to fab in a matter of minutes with whatever ingredients you have on hand! And the best part, cooking your meats "basic style" requires minimal effort and ingredients!
Tonight's meal used up my last 89 cent avocado I scored at Aldi's, an over easy egg, and my already prepped sweet potato and mushroom green bean medley.
Ground Turkey - Basic
1 lb. ground turkey defrosted
Garlic Powder to your liking (I used three to four shakes)
1. Add ground turkey to a pan, sprinkle on garlic powder, mix with your hands
2. Cook until ground turkey is no longer pink and the juices are clear
3. Drain your turkey and store in the fridge to "upgrade" at a later date
- you can also drain and then "upgrade" and eat immedietely
Ground Turkey - Upgraded
To "upgrade" your ground turkey, use whatever ingredients that tantalize your tastebuds!
Here are some suggestions, mix and match for meal masterpieces!
Over Easy Egg
- the runny yolk just makes the meat oh so juicy and add extras protein! Double win!
Avocado Mashed or Sliced
- I prefer the creaminess of mashed avocado, plus it's a good source of healthy fat!
- fresh or diced from the can (low sodium)
- Top with your favorite salsa for a Mexican feel, maybe even add some avocado and "cheese"
- Saute your favorite veggies and add to your ground turkey for a stir fry type dish
- Top with the real stuff, or Go Veggie's amazing Lactose Free/Soy Free or Dairy Free Varieties
Simple Toppings: Ketchup, Mustard, Dressing of your choice
These are just a few ideas I came up with, based on what I would personally like. Got another idea or suggestion? Try it out and leave it in the comments!