This recipe is quite flexible, and can be cooked a variety of ways. Pick the cooking method that works best for you and add/substitute for whatever toppings you like best!
2-4 Chicken Breasts - cut into strips (I use breasts, feel free to use tenderloins/cutlets)
Taco Seasoning - El Pas is a safe one I use*see notes below*
4 Roasted Peppers - Tutorial on How To
Leaves of you Choice (Romaine + Kale + Spring Mix + Spinach Leaves + Iceberg)
Grill/Grill Pan/Broiler will all work for cooking the chicken!
Shredded Cheese/Go Veggie Rice Cheddar Shreds
Crushed Corn Chips/Tortillas
1. Cut defrosted chicken into strips
2. Add chicken and taco seasoning to a gallon sized freezer bag, shake up to ensure the chicken is evenly coated. This step can be done for however long you want the chicken to marinate for, I did mine for six hours but that's only because I actually remembered for once!
Later, once the chicken has marinated and is ready to be cooked
3. Use the How to Roast Peppers in the Oven method or a grill, to roast the peppers for your salad
4. While the peppers cool, begin to grill your chicken.
If you do not have an outdoor grill or a grill pan use my "No Grill Grilled Chicken" Method
5. Once peppers are cooled, de-seed and slice the peppers while chicken continues to cook
Cook time for chicken will vary, depending on your choice of grill/grill pan/broiler
6. Once the chicken has fully cooked you may:
- Let it cool before adding to your 'bowls'
- Add to your salad right away
7. Prepare your "bowl" using a bed of leaves, topping with chicken and any other goodies that will complete your fiesta of flavor!
8. ENJOY! Margaritas optional, just kidding, I don't even really drink ;)
While Old El Paso Taco Seasoning is not labeled gluten free, there are no gluten containing ingredients in the list because the company has a strict gluten disclosure policy. I use this Taco Seasoning all the time and have never experienced an issue. A thread on Celiac.com also gave this Taco Seasoning as well as Ortega the thumbs up. BUT, and this is a big but, if you are extremely sensitive to gluten or want further reassurance, you can contact the company at 1-800-300-8664 to find out for yourself!
- What's your favorite topping to add for a fiesta of flavor?
- Do you ever crave food you don't like from seeing photos?
- Chipotle, yay or nay?