My first gluten free Thanksgiving, I attempted to make a gluten free and dairy free pie, which resulted in a crustless concoction lacking the right consistency.
This year, I stepped up my game, and got on my Gluten Free Dairy Free Betty Crocker grind. My patience in the kitchen paid off when I took the first bite of this heavenly pie, which was spot on for taste, texture and consistency! I know I'm a little late for Thanksgiving BUT with Christmas right around the corner, this recipe is just in time!
BEHOLD, A GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, PUMPKIN PIE THAT IS ON POINT! (and has crust!)
This recipe is a two part process, first making and baking the crust, then the filling!
Pumpkin Pie (Crust + Filling)
Gluten Free/Dairy Free Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups crushed gluten free grahm crackers/cookie of your choice
(Smoreable Graham Style Crackers by Kinnikinnick is the brand I use, also sell a crumb version)
5 tablespoons butter, melted (I use Earth Balance Organic Whipped Dairy Free Butter)
1 tablespoon white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit
2. Place your graham crackers/cookies into a large freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin, or if you're daring enough, your palm. Be careful you don't make a hole in the bag, it will make a mess and waste your crumbs!
3. Melt the butter, and add all ingredients together in a bowl
4. Stir until well combined
5. Press the crust mixture into a 9 inch pie pan (I actually used an 8 inch pan, it's all I had)
6. Bake crust until slightly darkened, this will vary depending on the type of cookie you used! I baked mine for five, checked it, baked for another five, gave it a check, then baked for a final five
7. Take out of the oven, let cool, add pie filling and bake accordingly
1 can (15 oz) Pumpkin
1 cup Milk (I use lactaid, you can use your own milk substitute!)
2 large Eggs
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar + 1/2 Cup White Sugar (3/4 cup total, can use only white sugar but I mixed!)
2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1. Combine milk, pumpkin, and eggs in large bowl
2. Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spices in small bowl
3. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, stir until well combined
4. Bake 50-55 minutes until a toothpick/fork/knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Depending on your oven, baking times will vary, I actually baked mine for 55 minutes, then for an extra five minutes, checking it at two minute intervals with a knife
5. Let cool completely, refrigerate until serving!
- As a butter substitute, you can use coconut oil, I actually used 2 Tablespoons butter and 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil melted, because I ran out of butter. Broke the cardinal baking rule and didn't check all my ingredients before beginning, whoops!
- Crust Base Suggestions:
- Josef's Vanilla Gluten Free Square Cookies
- Annie's Gluten Free Bunny Grahams - Snickerdoodle, Gingersnap, Vanilla
- Enjoy Life Gluten Free Crunchy Cookies - Sugar Crisp, Vanilla Honey Graham
- Enjoy Life Gluten Free Soft Baked Cookies - Gingersnap, Snickerdoodle
- Get Creative, use whatever type of cookie/flavor is YOUR favorite!
- Pie Filling Milk Substitutes:
- Lactaid (this is what I use instead of milk)
- Almond Milk (may give it a different flavor, try using Vanilla instead?)
- Soy Milk (may give it a different flavor, better to use Vanilla I feel)
- Coconut Milk (may give a different flavor)
- I let mine cool, kept in the fridge and it stayed fresh for a week!
- This pie was point on, it had the PERFECT texture and consistency and fooled my boyfriend's family, the thought it was a "normal" pie!