I wanted it to have a pasta base but I would be making a "swapportunity" for zoodles (aka zucchini noodles). If you have not tried zoodles before, click the zoodle link in the previous sentence to check out my post on what they are and how to make them! They are my favorite! I haven't had gluten free pasta in MONTHS because I love zoodles so much! Plus it's an extra way to get in more veggies!
The final result of this recipe was a medley of vegetables mixed with chicken that replicated the comfort feeling I was seeking while still being healthy, delicious and nutritious food for the win :)
This recipe is VERY flexible and can be made with various vegetable additions.
It was actually created from items that I had already meal prepped and cooked for the week by simply tossing them all together in a skillet, so the measurements below are not exact.
Below I will list a few variations of how you can make this recipe, providing the steps for each of the vegetables and two ways to make the chicken, once everything is cooked you throw it all together in the skillet for a flavor infusion!
Italian Chicken Bowl - Adjust measurements for number of servings/people, this is for 1 serving
1 Zucchinni made into noodles (using a peeler or spiralizer)
1 Garlic and Herb Seasoned (McCormick's) Chicken Breast**see below for how to cook the chicken**
Red Roasted Pepper
Spinach (fresh or frozen)
Olive Oil to taste
Garlic to taste
Balsamic Vinegar to taste
Garlic and Herb Chicken (the chicken must be defrosted before cooking)
Baked (follows my Juicy Baked Chicken premise)
1. Preheat Oven to 360 Degrees
2. Rub Garlic and Herb Seasoning all over Chicken
3. Use aluminum foil to create a "flavor pouch" for the chicken
3. Place Seasoned Chicken Breast in the aluminum foil, with a drizzling of light olive oil
4. Seal aluminum foil pouch TIGHTLY
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink
6. Shred or Slice up Chicken to be placed into the skillet with the other mix ins
1. Cut chicken breast into strips
2.Rub Garlic and Herb Seasoning all over Chicken
3. Lightly spray grill pan (or you can use a real grill, I unfortunately do not have a real grill)
4. Turn grill pan heat to medium, add seasoned chicken breast
5. Cook strips until brown on one side, 5-7 minutes, then flip over and repeat the process
6. Keep warm until ready to place into the skillet with the other mix ins
1. In a skillet, add a little olive oil and turn to medium heat
2. Toss in mushrooms, let cook until mushrooms are no longer raw and have become brown
- approx. 10 minutes
3. Drain the water from the mushrooms,and add in your garlic and fresh spinach/cooked frozen spinach
(if using frozen spinach, cook the spinach and be sure to drain the water out)
4. Saute spinach with mushrooms and garlic, once spinach is cooked, add in balsamic vinegar to taste (I used a splash, to start out with, then kept adding as I went)
5. Last item to add in is roasted red peppers, keep on low heat, stirring, while the chicken finishes cooking
6. When the chicken has finished cooking, toss the chicken, along with the zoodles in for five minutes to allow a fusion of flavors.
7. Serve in a bowl and enjoy!