Some quick information for my celiac, gluten intolerant, gluten sensitive or simply gluten free readers:
Taco Seasoning: MAKE YOUR OWN OR ONLY BUY LABELED GLUTEN FREE BRANDS! Brands that are not labeled as gluten free and do not contain gluten ingredients are typically not labeled due to issues of cross contamination. Read more here
Taco Shells: I always buy Ortega Yellow Corn Shells, they are labeled gluten free right on the box. If purchasing another corn tortilla variety, hard or soft, please check the ingredients or contact the company if you are unsure! It is always better to be safe than sorry. If you're looking for a soft shell, even though they are considered a "wrap", Toufayan makes a delicious gluten free wrap that goes great with tacos if you don't want a crunchy shell!
Tacos (Just the meat)
1 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
(I can get three to four meals out of one pound for just myself, adjust according to your needs!)
1 Labeled GF Taco Seasoning Mix or D.I.Y. Taco Seasoning
2/3 cup water
1 8 ounce can of No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
- this is optional but adds SO much flavor, and makes the meat extra juicy, I will add it if I have a can on hand, but the ground turkey tastes great with out it too
Ortega Yellow Corn Taco Shells - labeled GF right on the box!
(if you and gluten get along just fine, take your pick between a soft or hard shell taco)
1. Brown ground turkey (or beef) in a skillet until thoroughly cooked
3. Stir in water and seasoning mix, I sometimes use a little bit less than 2/3 cup water, it depends if I am adding the tomato sauce or not. Eyeball the amount of water based on your own preferences
4. Heat to a boil, lower heat, and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens
5. Spoon your meat into your tortilla shell and top with your favorite fillings!
NOW FOR THE FUN PART: THE FILLINGS - pick and choose whatever YOU like, I starred my favorites!
Go Veggie Lactose Free Rice Style Cheddar Shreds*
Plain Greek Yogurt*
Rice, I put mine on the side
Whatever else you want to bring to the fiesta in your mouth, add to your taco!
- Switch out your sour cream for plain greek yogurt as a healthy alternative that tastes just as good and adds extra protein! My sensitive stomach can tolerate the small amounts of greek yogurt because of the probiotics, if you are severely lactose intolerant, this may not work for you!
- Lactose Intolerant? Check out the link for the Go Veggie Lactose Free Rice Style Cheddar Shreds above, they're also soy free as well! They are my savior when it comes to missing cheese, they taste, melt, and stretch just like the real thing!
- If soy is not an issue for you, Go Veggie also has this Lactose Free variety of cheese that also comes in more flavors!
- All of the Lactose Free Go Veggie options do contain casein, but that doesn't bother my stomach!
- Milk allergy/sensitivity? Avoiding Casein? or Vegan? No worries, Go Veggie has a cheese for you too! Because come on, what's a taco without the cheese!