This recipe is quite flexible, and can be cooked a variety of ways. Pick the cooking method that works best for you and add/substitute for whatever toppings you like best!
2-4 Chicken Breasts - cut into strips (I use breasts, feel free to use tenderloins/cutlets)
Taco Seasoning - I now make my own, safest option
4 Roasted Peppers - Tutorial on How To
Leaves of you Choice (Romaine + Kale + Spring Mix + Spinach Leaves + Iceberg)
Grill/Grill Pan/Broiler will all work for cooking the chicken!
Shredded Cheese/Go Veggie Rice Cheddar Shreds
Crushed Corn Chips/Tortillas
1. Cut defrosted chicken into strips
2. Add chicken and taco seasoning to a gallon sized freezer bag, shake up to ensure the chicken is evenly coated. This step can be done for however long you want the chicken to marinate for, I did mine for six hours but that's only because I actually remembered for once!
Later, once the chicken has marinated and is ready to be cooked
3. Use the How to Roast Peppers in the Oven method or a grill, to roast the peppers for your salad
4. While the peppers cool, begin to grill your chicken.
If you do not have an outdoor grill or a grill pan use my "No Grill Grilled Chicken" Method
5. Once peppers are cooled, de-seed and slice the peppers while chicken continues to cook
Cook time for chicken will vary, depending on your choice of grill/grill pan/broiler
6. Once the chicken has fully cooked you may:
- Let it cool before adding to your 'bowls'
- Add to your salad right away
7. Prepare your "bowl" using a bed of leaves, topping with chicken and any other goodies that will complete your fiesta of flavor!
8. ENJOY! Margaritas optional, just kidding, I don't even really drink ;)
Make your own taco seasoning! It's simple, and the SAFEST guarantee that your taco seasoning won't be infested with gluten. Many Taco Seasoning brands do not contain gluten BUT are not labeled as gluten free due to cross contamination risk, and this information is not always provided on the label. Read more about an extensive reply I received from El Paso here.
- I prefer to let the chicken cool completely before adding it to my 'bowl' of leaves, if the chicken is too hot, it will wilt your lettuce, and nobody likes soggy lettuce!
- This is a GREAT meal to prep for, just grill/cook LOTS of chicken, buy a big bag of leaves, pre cut/chop your toppings and you're good to go for the week
- What's your favorite topping to add for a fiesta of flavor?
- Do you ever crave food you don't like from seeing photos?
- Chipotle, yay or nay?
- Celiac/GF Friends, what's YOUR go to Taco Seasoning?